14 November 2012


Yes, I know it's been ages! 

I have managed to have a couple of weekends sewing in the last month, which has been wonderful.

The 2nd weekend in October DH and DS1 went to Bathurst to watch the Touring Cars at the Bathurst 1000.  That left Buddy (the replacement child) and I at home alone.........again!

What fun! Again the dining table was moved into the family room, the DVD's where lined up and away I went.

I had LOTS of cutting to do and I do mean lots......  I was woorking on My "Challenge" quilt.  I can't show any of it until reveal day.

Then a week later I had 2 weeks off.  One car had been sold and the next one hadn't arrived so I was pretty much confined to quarters.  That was fine.  Before I started on "Challenge" I needed to sew the last couple of rows on a scrap quilt I started about 7 years ago.  The rows were even pinned but for some reason they just didn't want to get under the machine and be sewn.  So I bit the bullet and got them done.  I found some border and backing fabric last week so I need to put that on but here it is so far.

Then I got stuck into Challenge.  I am proud to say by the end of the holidays, I had the top done ready for quilting.  Seeeew pleased.  There was a lot of sewing in it. 

Then last weekend I went to Talbingo Mountain Lodge again sewing with 5 other wonderful ladies.  A lovely relaxing, sewing filled weekend was had by all.  Laughs, wine, chocolate, sewing, away from home, and good friends, it doesn't get any better!  We even learnt how to play canasta.  Thanks Judy.xx  We did miss our absent friends though.

What was achieved you ask??

The very talented Trina was finishing the binding on her Feathered Star.  Here it is all done.  Absolutely gorgeous!  All hand pieced including the borders.

Here is a close up of one block and she had it beautifully quilted.

The she made (including the quilting and binding) a table runner for Christmas.

She also made a totally cute little hexagon bag, just big enough to hold her thimble, reel of cotton and small thread snips.  I didn't get a photo of that.

Judy got the top of her Double wedding ring done.  She started it at our April gathering and on the weekend got the last 40% for the blocks done and all the top assembled.  A massive effort Judy.  So striking in her different colour choice.

This is it with all but the last row of blocks made and laid out.

The first row is joined.

 Here is it hot off the press machine. The photo doesn't do it justice. A huge relief and a big sigh from JudyShe also said :"Never again", but we will see.

A close up of the block and her colours.

Rozie was working hard on what she calls her Talbingo quilt.  She really got motoring but didn't lay it out for me to get a photo.  NEXT TIME ROZIE!!!!! No hiding! lol

Next was Di.

First she worked on getting borders on her "Girls Day Out" blocks.  She had it packed away before I got a photo.

Then she worked on this striking Black and white braid.  We were auditioning different colours to use as a joining strip.  There was also purple, lime green and orange tried.  What colour will she choose???  We will have to wait and see.

Di then was working on sewing blocks for her "Whirly Gig" quilt which she also got packed before the camera was out.

Then there was Deb.

She was working on putting together her Sue Daly top "Faith, Hope, Love".  She just has the corners left to do.

Her second project was a layer cake and a flat roll and a bit of an idea as to what she would do.

She cut it out one night and the next day it was wrooom wroooooom on the machine.

The quilt that grew in a day.

Amazing what you can achieve with an idea and a day.  Beautiful!

So what of me you are asking.  Well compared to these girls,  it doesn't seem so much.

My Michele Hill Arebesque was on its third trip to Talbingo.  Finally all the blocks are appliqued.  To help get through it I was timing to see how long it took to go around some of the pieces.  For the 4 blocks in the centre the yellow eathers took 1/2 hour each and there were 16 of them.  Phew!!!!!  Just realised that's where 8 hours went.

And as would have it, when you go away, you always forget something and yes I left the set-in-triangle cutting instructions behind.  Thus no triangles were hurt in the making of this top.....so far.  I have the designs all cut and ready to go, so that will be my next available weekend project.  (Note to self..........where did you put the cutting instructions if not with the fabric, best find them!)  Here are the blocks all laid out.

Then for my next Michele project, The Arts and Crafts Sampler.  I had three blocks already prepped and 1 sewn.  All that remained was the next 6.  When you do one every month (as you are suppose to) you don't notice how long it takes to prep.  Well this is a good part of a day involved in the last 6 blocks and then the first month, 2 blocks of the next one.

Here is Arts and Craft all done, ready and waiting for the TV.  Just right for the coming hot weather.

Well that's it for now.

I hope you have enjoyed seeing what we have been up to.

Take care and Happy sewing.




  1. So much eye candy. Well done girls. Cant wait for the next explosive weekend at Talbingo.

    1. Hi Sonia. April will be the next Talbingo update. The countdown is on. lol

  2. HI Julie-Ann...I still need your address to send you your calendar!! sorry if you sent it....I lost a whole lot of emails because the computer crashed!! Hugs, Michele XX